Monday 15 October 2018

The Upside of my Job | Blogtober Day 15

Not everything is all doom and gloom at work like I'm sure you must think from reading why I hate my job. I've decided to write this post because I feel like it wasn't 100% fair of me to just "diss" my job and then not mention some of the positive aspects of it. You know what they say "no matter what; there is always a bright side", so that's what I'll be focusing on today.

I got my current job after being unemployed for about 3 months; I absolutely hated my previous job so I really didn't mind when it was over but when you're used to not having to ask for money for everything, life really changes. I was glad for the opportunity to have some of my own money for things and not having to ask mommy to buy me tampons.

The upside of my job:

It has allowed me the opportunity to gain some independence. I might not be completely independent yet but there are things I can do for myself on my own now. I buy my own toiletries for starters. No more running to mommy when I'm out of sanitary products and deodorant.

My job has given me the opportunity to go back to school and get a qualification. I dropped out of university, back then my parents were paying for it. It did not go well and I was depressed. I came back home and took a year off studying, during that time I got a job and tried to convince my parents I was ready to return but to no avail. They lost faith in me because off my first attempt at getting a degree which I understand but I mean I can't wait for them to want to willingly invest in me again. They kept telling me I'm not ready when I knew I was, then 1 day I realised no man, you have a job and you can actually pay for this yourself. I applied got accepted and went back to school without having to ask my parents for anything. I am now funding my studies from my own pocket and it makes me feel so proud. I can pay for my studies slowly each month. It was hard and draining being constantly reminded that I was a dropout and being asked questions like, "If you didn't manage to get your degree the first time; what makes you think you can get it now?” Now I answer only to myself! 

With the little money I have managed to join the gym. I find fitness and health is of utmost importance and should be everyone's top priority but I get it, we're not all the same.

I have also managed to get myself my own cell phone that I want from my own pocket. I don't have to ask anyone to buy me data and airtime anymore because I can get it for myself now. I even purchased myself a brand new laptop, I accidentally dropped mine when I was in varsity and no one managed to repair it so I was laptop less for a few years. I needed the laptop in order to be able to do schoolwork when I returned to my studies; I'm using that very laptop to blog right now.

The work environment itself is actually quite positive. I don't think I will ever find another job that is as chilled, my boss (the one that's stationed at the office) is approachable and intelligent. We talk about anything & everything and he understands when staff has personal problems. I am quite the "sickly" employee and I don't get shit about it when I don't have a doctor's note. We generally get along quite well as staff in the office, we have small issues here and there like any other workplace but overall I'd say we're good. When things are going well we get free lunch quite regularly. There was a point my mom kept asking me why I don't eat supper at home anymore because I was always claiming to be full. 

My job has allowed me to gain some of the necessary skills I need in my career such as interpersonal skills, communication skills and it has given me work experience. Working there has given me the opportunity to see and experience a real workplace situation. I know more or less what it takes to successfully run a company, how to work with people and how people react in certain unfavourable work situations. I have also learnt a great deal about myself in a work environment and I now know what kind of employee I am and which areas I need to improve on personally.

My boss is very understanding of the fact that I am a part time student and allows me to use company resources for my studies (as long as I don't abuse them of course). It has made managing work and studies a little easier for me so I don't always feel like I'm under immense pressure. I'm even able to go and work at the office on weekends should I need to do so.

I still need a new job though because I need the cash!

No comments:

Post a Comment