Wednesday 12 September 2018

How to Balance part-time Studies & a full-time Job

I'm an administrative assistant and I'm still pursuing my bachelor’s degree. I work every weekday from 8am to 4.30 pm then I go to the gym. Most of the time when I get home I'm too tired to think and after doing my household chores, I crash; lights out, bedtime. It's gets difficult a lot of the time to get home and do schoolwork but I found a way around it.

I did some reading and found out what others in my situation do and how they still obtain good marks while holding down a full time job. I have adapted some of the habits they spoke about and I will share them with you too. So here's how I balance my studies and work:

  • Create a timetable and stick to it - make sure your account for the whole day, include travel times and all the activities that you do throughout the day.
  • When you have free time or downtime at work, tackle your assignments
  • Use your lunch break to study 
  • Wake up an hour earlier if you have to in order to get work done
  • Go to the office an hour earlier if you need to utilise office equipment and do your work before starting time
  • Don't procrastinate - if you have time to do a task, so it now and just get it over and done with. It's true when they say that "procrastination is the thief of time"
  • Plan your study leave in advance so that you have enough time to prepare for tests and exams

Those are a few tips I have used and adapted into my lifestyle to help me balance my school-work life. Being a part-time student can be tough but the important thing to do to stay on track is to be very conscious about how you are spending your time.

In closing I want you to always remember this quote ; "Never put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today".

If you liked this post then I'm sure you'll like: 
https://weirdnliberated.blogspot.com/2018/09/being-academically-excluded-is-not-end.html

5 comments:

  1. Life is a sacred journey through time. Balancing our actions is the first step as we learn to walk a step at a time. Enjoyed reading your post and I know a lot will benefit from this as each and every day we learn to balance our life as if we have just begun the journey all over again.

    Blessings from Seattle,
    Ann Marie Ruby | https://annmarieruby.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find sticking to a timetable is so helpful. Then I can tick tasks off as I go 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I procrastinated!! Now I need a week off work to catch up on 6 modules before exams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing 6 modules??? Wow I am impressed. I'm only doing 4 this semester and sometimes it drives me nuts. Good luck with exams though, let's kick these modules' butts!

      Delete