Wednesday 22 August 2018

The Day I Got Mugged with my Ex &Thought it was the End of Me

The crime rate in South Africa is quite high. The most recent stats I've read stated that there is an average of 57 murders a day! The robbery stats are probably twice as much. So when you take the occurrences of other crimes into account you realize just how serious the crime problem is. It would be a miracle for one to go through life and even enter late adulthood without ever being a victim of a crime either directly or indirectly but here's a story I don't think you hear often...

My ex and I had been apart for a long time and we weren't on speaking terms really. Thing is the relationship just kind of came to an abrupt end, he never really broke up with me he just started seeing someone else; I think the correct term would be ghosted (you get the picture).


So 3 days before my sister's birthday I get a call from him saying he wants to see me, so after work at about 5 pm I went by his house (well where he was staying) to pick him up and we took a drive. I couldn't just see him at his place because we weren't on speaking terms and everyone around knew that and I didn't feel like explaining myself.... anyways we went for a drive and ended up in West Bank.


I wasn't a very "aware" person at the time, so little did I know the area was notorious for crime but that spot by the beach was beautiful nonetheless. So we parked the car by the rocks and went for a stroll and just talked (I'm sure to this day people think we were doing a lot more than that). We walked along the beach a few minutes, talking along the way and realized it was getting really late so we decided we should probably leave. We had walked say about 10 minutes out then on the way back to the car we see this guy standing on top of like a sort of hill. My heart started pounding at this point because I knew right at that moment we were about to get mugged.


He started making small talk and asking questions like are you from around here? What brings you to this side of town? We were about to proceed to the car but then 2 of his friends showed up in front of us and he then jumped down so we were trapped. The guy closest to me then pulled up his shirt to reveal the biggest knife I have ever seen, it was probably a panga (a huge knife) the size of my arm and I froze. My heart pounded like it was going to explode right out of my chest and I thought "this is how I am going to die". After that everything happened so fast. They then body searched us (the guy searching me kept going over my breasts) and I went numb. In that moment I thought; this cannot be happening right now. I was stripped of my watch because we weren't carrying anything of value and they made him take his sneakers off and ran off with those too.


We raced back to the car so fast after they left only to find that they had found the car before approaching us on the beach. The passenger side window had been smashed with a rock and that's how they managed to open the door. The back seat was tilted over which gave them access to the boot where my handbag was and they had stolen 4 cellphones out of the glove box. We probably lost a combined total of 20 grand of items (give or take) in the space of less than 30 minutes. My guess is that they probably watched us arrive and waited for the right time to strike and boy did they hit the jackpot that day!


We drove straight to the nearest police station with shattered glass all over (I kept finding bits of glass in the car for a while after that) and reported what had just happened. The whole time I felt like this was my fault and that I shouldn't have been meeting up with my ex in secret in the first place. I honestly felt like such a fool. I'm not blaming him because obviously he hadn't planned on us being attacked, it was out of his control but still... what the hell was I thinking?


I called my mom from the police station and apparently I was extremely calm for someone who just got robbed at knife point. I'm a weird person like that. I understood the gravity of what had just transpired but I felt more angry and annoyed at that moment than anything. Then I went from feeling like that to just being done. I was just tired mentally and physically. It had been a long ass day.


Judging by how the muggers looked from the bit I can remember, they can't have been much older than us. They were probably in their late twenties. It's absolutely nuts that while some people that age are starting professional carriers and pursuing their dreams and these guys have turned to a life of crime. Goes to show just how different societal standings are in South Africa I think. It's a sad reality if the world we live in. We can't even go to beautiful isolated places and enjoy them because we'll get robbed or worse killed (which is what the cops said). Apparently we were 1 of the lucky ones and there were instances where other couples were forced into the trunks of their cars and the vehicle was then used to commit another crime and they got killed later.

Here's the worst part of that entire experience; the next day he came to check up on me and we talked and all that. Then later on I go onto social media to find he has put a photo of him and his ex as his profile picture. My heart sank!!! I felt like the biggest fool in the world! I had almost died and for what??? If that wasn't a sign that I should stay far away from the guy then what is?


I wonder how many women have had a similar experience with an ex. I would love to hear their stories because I have never heard of anyone who's had such a dreadful experience with an ex long after the breakup... and lived to talk about it.


I think things in life happen for a reason because after all of this, after everything we went through, I thought a person would at least check on me once in a while. I thought the whole experience would bring us closer together; no not as a couple but as people. Then again, maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way and it was actually a sign that we should stay the hell away from each other. Maybe it didn't mean anything at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment