Saturday 11 August 2018

How to Get the Best out of your Oily, Acne Prone Skin

I have been battling with pimples since puberty but I never had major acne. Just a few annoying pimples here and there and mostly on my forehead that left me with ugly, black spots on my face when they were momentarily gone only to make a reappearance sooner rather than later.

I started seeing a dermatologist when I was about 26 but for my scalp eczema not my acne. I mean I was managing to keep my face under control, sure I had pimples but I had accepted them and they were not a big deal to me. They would disappear eventually... At first I was apprehensive about it because I thought she was just looking to squeeze more cash out of me but I soon realised that it was probably best I listened to her; after all my skin wasn’t at its best.

My dermatologist suggested I switch my daily skin care products and introduced me to a product range called Eucerin. I had tried many products before, some would leave me with swollen eyes and lips and others with a facial rash, and it sucked. I remember an incident in high school where my mom gave me a product on the recommendation from a friend, yeah it got rid of the pimples but my face swelled up like a balloon and my mom forced me to go to school like that. My right eye was huge from the swelling; I could barely read my notes in class (hahaha). I informed the dermatologist of this and she assured me that this product was different; so I gave it a try. My skin started to make really positive and noticeable changes and I was a happy customer.

With the dermatologist's recommendations and my own research, this is how I get the best of my acne prone skin:

I use products from the Eucerin range for my daily cleansing routine. Eucerin is a great product because I find it light and gentle on the face. I alternate between the Eucerin cleansing gel and the Eucerin DermoPurifyer Cleanser (depending on which is available or cheaper in store) to wash my face daily in the mornings and evenings.

After Cleansing I follow with the Eucerin DermoPurifyer Toner. I use a cotton pad and put a small amount on the pad then gently wipe my face with it.  I do this twice daily as well.

The last and final step is the Eucerin DermoPurifyer Mattifying Fluid. The mattyfying fluid moisturizes the face and is very light. It leaves the skin feeling hydrated and soft. I mix this with Cetaphil Daylong SPF 50+ sunscreen. I mix the 2 creams together in the palm of my hand then apply them to my face in a circular motion.

I also make use of a Himalayan Charcoal face mask (purchased from The Body Shop) weekly. I usually use it on a Sunday. It's a mud like mask that you apply to a wet face then leave on to dry. I keep it on my face for 15 to 20 minutes then rinse it off with lukewarm water. I follow it up with my Eucerin moisturizer. During the week if I feel like it I use The Tea Tree Mask from The Body Shop. Tea tree has many benefits including removing impurities and absorption of excess oil.

Additional facial skincare tips:

  • Always remove make-up before bed: when I'm too lazy to wash my face I use baby wipes for make-up removal
  • Try not to use make up every single day and allow your skin to breathe but if you must; go for light, breathable make up products
  • Do not pick at or pop your pimples
  • Make sure to drink plenty of water
  • Cut down on sugar: I have personally noted that my acne outbreaks are triggered by too much sugar
  • Use a light sunscreen that is effective but won't clog your pores
  • Make sure you wash your bedding i.e. pillow case regularly so that you sleep on a nice clean pillow 
  • Don’t over wash or over exfoliate your face as this will strip your skin of its natural oils and can lead to over production of oils
  • Eat clean – follow a healthy diet. Healthy eating does wonders for your skin as it gives your body all the nutrients it needs to look it’s best
That's how I take care of my skin and keep it clean, fresh and acne free. I have a few breakouts every now and again due to hormones when it’s that time of the month; otherwise I have my acne under control. Our bodies are different and react differently to products, so what worked for me might not necessarily be the best option for you but I urge you to give these products a try… see how it goes. May your skin stay beautiful and acne free!

No comments:

Post a Comment