Friday 20 July 2018

What it was like Getting Inked for the 1st time

Tattoos used to be a thing for inmates but that is now a thing of the past. People from all walks of life are getting inked. After years of contemplation and being indecisive about what to get (these things are for life you know, don't wanna do something I'll regret) I finally did it a few years ago. I actually have 2 tattoos now.

When thinking about getting a tattoo it's important to do some research first so that you know what you're getting yourself into and what to expect. Ask around about good tattoo artists too and try to go to an established one, the last thing you want is to have a mediocre drawing on your body for the rest of your life.

I decided to get a tattoo after an experience that changed me forever. I was about 22 when I got my first tattoo. It was something I had been thinking about doing for a while but kept putting off because the thought of having something on my body permanently was scary to me and I wanted to be sure not to do something I would regret 5 years down the line so it had to be meaningful  (and small). So after having a bit of a life-changing event it felt like it was the right time (I had to have an abortion when I was at university and it almost destroyed me, I wrote about a post about it). After forgiving myself and finally dealing with it; I got a tattoo to mark a new chapter and put the past behind. I chose the phrase "let it go" because it just spoke to me & it's relevant. 

I made my way to Alien Station without even booking an appointment. See, I'm a spur of the moment kind of person, when I get an idea in my head and I have the means, I do it NOW. I mean, there's no time like the present right? Lucky for me they were having a quiet day and were able to ink me right then and there. Mind you I was taking a huge risk here because I have sensitive skin and I was kind of worried about having a horrific allergic reaction to the ink but I went ahead and did it anyways (I have woken up with swollen lips from my choice of lip balm - rolls eyes)!

The staff at Alien Station was very friendly and welcoming. It was a good experience from the moment I walked through the door. They showed me a book filled with different tattoo designs but I wasn't really interested because I had already made up my mind what I was getting before I walked in there- a short phrase. What I had not decided on was wear I was going to put it. I did a little research on the internet a while back on the least painful body parts to tattoo and let me tell you if you want minimal pain, do not get inked on a bone - which is exactly what I did. I chose the rib cage: ouch!

I knew what I wanted and picked a body part I could conceal in case I go for an interview sometime in the future, I heard companies are not tattoo fans and I wasn't getting a tattoo for the world to see. It was just a little something I was doing for myself as part of a healing process I guess - to mark the end of a chapter in my life. I was really not a fan of needles back then so I was expecting the pain to be excruciating! It felt more uncomfortable than anything. In fact; it literally felt like having a needle dragged across the surface of my skin. I think my pain tolerance is above average because I have been through some rough ordeals in life so this was on a scale of 1 to 10 - a 6.

The tattoo artist was friendly and explained clearly how I should look after my new tattoo so that it looked good and healed properly. I was advised to use Bepanthen to moisturize it during the healing phase. Bepanthen is a nappy rash cream which they sold there and you can also get it from stores.  It took a few weeks to heal 100% and the area was quite sensitive to the touch. I was very happy with the service I got and 5 years later it still looks great.

So that was my first tattoo experience. I went back to exactly the same tattoo parlor a few years later for another one and the owners recognized me. Who knows... maybe I'll be getting inked again sometime in the near future.

If there's one important thing I can tell you is that it's vital to look after your tattoo and do what the artist tells you to do; otherwise you might end up with some smudgy looking, ugly thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment