Tuesday 24 July 2018

My 1st Menstrual Cup - My Own Cup

Menstrual cups might just be the greatest gift to women yet! I'm all about saving money and cutting costs wherever I can so when my sister first told me about the period cup; I was sold almost immediately! I am always eager to try new things; especially if they are cost cutting. I almost always have cash flow problems which make my life such admin and my period lasts for 5 DAYS. My sister brought me one when she came home from school and I won't lie, I couldn't wait for my period to come. I wanted to use it NOW!

At first I wondered, "How the hell am I going to fit this thing into my vagina?" Well it was actually pretty simple. You just fold it and insert it into your vagina with the opening of the cup facing the opening of your vagina and it opens up inside. The weirdest part was at first it felt like a vacuum in my vagina. (It actually made a small suction sound when I pulled it out - not a loud one). I thought I was going to feel something because I'm used to using tampons and when a tampon is full you can feel it. It actually feels pretty amazing because it doesn't feel like there is anything up there at all!

I hate tampons especially near the end of your period when it’s dry because it can feel quite rough and painful to pull a dry tampon out of your vagina, it's extremely unpleasant. I find pads even worse, I don't care how slim you make them; to me it's like wearing a nappy. I'll pass!

I started using my first period cup on the 20th of July. It was my most comfortable period in years!

Menstrual cups come in a variety of sizes to suit your flow and you can get one ranging from about R199 upwards depending on where you buy it. Menstrual cups are available in online stores such as TakeAlot.com. They come in different brands and sizes (according to your menstrual flow). I have yet to see one in stores where I live.

I'm using one called My Own Cup - menstrual cup which my sister brought from Cape Town.

Menstrual cups are safe enough to be used by virgins as they will not break the hymen; they don’t go that far up the vagina. If it wasn’t obvious to you; yes you must remove the cup if you’re having sex while on your period.

Here is a list of pros (some of which I have personally discovered):

No leakage; that is of course if you put it in properly
No odour or possibility of odour since it stays in your body (why I hated pads)
It's comfortable and flexible
You can keep the cup in for longer than a tampon (up to 12 hours)
Smooth and easy insertion - no chaffing
Easy to clean
One cup last for up to 5 years but you can replace it after 3 if you wish
No risk of TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome) which you can get from tampon use
Go on with your life as normal, just like when using a tampon except far more comfortable
Cost effective - HUGE MONEY SAVER

And as for cons; I have yet to find any. Cleaning it is hassle free as well; just boil the cup for a few minutes in a water-filled pot on the stove to sterilize it before usage and you're ready to go. Sterilization is of utmost importance as it kills all germs and keeps the cup clean and bacteria free. The last thing you want is a vaginal infection. Don't forget to sterilize it before you put it away at the end of your period too! (I wash mine then boil it in a pot on the stove) ALWAYS WASH YOUR HANDS!

Below is a link to TakeAlot's website where you can get your own cup. Check it out:

The cleaning and care instructions are pretty straight forward, I boil mine on the stove but if you’re unsure of what to do I’d suggest you check out some YouTube videos of how other girls sterilize theirs. The leaflet that comes in the container with the cup is pretty simple though so you shouldn’t have any question as to what to do.

Many women in my circle (especially the older women) that I've tried to convince to switch to menstrual cups are still very apprehensive and for various reasons such as the cup getting lost or stuck; which I can assure you will not happen. There isn't really anywhere for the cup to "get lost" in there. It just sits there and does it's thing. I don't know if it's all in my head but I seem to experience less perineum pain lately as well; probably unrelated to the cup but a huge relief for me. Also people are very reluctant to change when they are stuck in their old ways; which I completely understand but sometimes one needs to take a chance, especially if it will do you and the planet more good.

So go ahead ladies, get yourselves a menstrual cup and save yourselves some cash while doing the environment a solid. I am glad I will never see another tampon or experience the dreaded dry tampon ever again!

For more information regarding the My Own Cup menstrual cups please visit www.myowncup.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment